Ensuring leadership failure
If you want to ensure that you fail as a leader here are ten essentials:
- Surround yourself with people who have a total confidence in your ideas, your opinions and your point of view; get rid of anyone who might see things, even slightly, differently.
- Don’t delegate any decision making responsibility; make all decisions, albeit small ones, yourself.
- Find the model of leadership that suits you the best (situational, transformational, servant, agile …..) and ignore all the others.
- Control everything that happens; make sure that you are in copy of all outgoing communications.
- Don’t show your emotions, keep them under control – unless of course you are, even slightly, angry.
- Don’t accept failure; if people can’t meet their objectives get rid of them.
- Recruit all new team members yourself; make sure that they meet your personal standards.
- Never forget that success is down to the leader; others may have contributed but it’s the leader that makes the difference.
- Give regular feedback; people need to know when they are performing poorly.
- Apply the previous points rigorously and don’t listen to anyone who tells you different.